NYCH supports newcomers with their settlement in many ways - to learn and practice English, navigate complex systems such as health care, education and immigration, find housing - all important steps to feel at home in a new country.
Community Settlement Services
Our Community Settlement Workers provide free, one-on-one services to newcomers that support them in making a smooth transition to their new life in Canada.
Our Community Settlement Workers can assist with:
- Referrals to employment services and other social services
- Housing applications
- Immigration and sponsorship forms
- OHIP cards and health care
- And much more...
- Service is available in Spanish, Farsi, Tagalog, Tamil and Russian, as well as English.
For more information or to book an appointment, please contact us.
Settlement in Schools
Settlement and Education Partnerships in Toronto (SEPT) is a school-based program that helps newcomer students and their families get settled in their school and community.
Settlement Workers in Schools support newcomer students and their families by:
- Providing orientation and information about health care, employment, housing, immigration and other social services
- Holding workshops on topics such as bullying, life skills, leadership, etc.
- Helping students and their families understand the school system
- These services are also provided in some local public libraries.
Find a school in North York with settlement services:
Open in Google Maps
For more information, please call 416-784-0920 or send us an email.
Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada (LINC)
Our Lawrence Square Mall location offers part-time or full-time English language classes for adults (Level 2 – 7) with free on-site childcare. Before registering, please call the YMCA Assessment Centre at 416-925-5462 to book an assessment test.
For more info on space and availability, please call 416-784-0920 or send us an email.
English Conversation Circles (ECCs)
English Conversation Circles (ECCs) offer a comfortable place to practice English conversation skills in an informal group setting with other language learners as well as native English speakers. Various times and locations.
Our Employment Services can support you in your job search through:
- Interview Coaching
- 1-on-1 Employment Counselling
- Resume & Cover Letter Optimization
- Networking & Social Media Job Search
- Job Placement & Connections
- Career Exploration & Labour Market Research
- Group Employment Workshops
We offer one-on-one and group mentoring across our various programs.
These mentorship opportunities can help you increase your success in the workplace, at school, and in your new community by:
- Expanding personal networks
- Developing goal-specific knowledge and skills
- Building self-confidence
- Providing an introduction to Canadian workplace culture
For more information on our Mentorship Program, please call 416-636-2600 Ext. 4220 or send us an email.
PROGRAMS FOR NEWCOMERS
For more information on our settlement work, please call 416-784-0920 Ext. 2224 or send us an email.