CAREERS AT NYCH
North York Community House (NYCH) is a dynamic neighbourhood centre that has been working with residents of northwest Toronto for over 26 years. We are committed to building strong, vibrant communities, and supporting local residents, new Canadians, parents and children, youth and seniors, meet and achieve their goals. NYCH believes that all the community members we serve have the strength and ability to succeed – our role is to help them get there.
NYCH is committed to creating an inclusive and diverse workplace, and will provide accommodation as required throughout the interview and employment process. If you require accommodation, please let us know in advance and we will work with you to meet your needs.
NYCH welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Get Moving! After-School Lead Facilitator (2 Positions)
Position Title: Get Moving! After-School Lead Facilitator (2 Positions)
Start and end dates: January 2019 to June 2019 (one week layoff in March)
Salary Range: $17.00/hour
- Position 1 - 25 hours/ week, 5 hours from Monday to Friday
- Position 2 - 15 hours/ week, 5 hours on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays
- Position 1 – Gracefield School
- Position 2 – Joyce Public School
Reports To: Manager, Community Connections
The Get Moving! After School Lead Facilitator will work with the Manager, Community Connections and other staff, student placements and volunteers to plan, carry out and evaluate the Get Moving! After-School Program. This program aims to improve health issues of newcomer children and youth by focusing on physical activity, and holistic health and wellness education. In addition, homework assistance, excursions and arts-based activities are planned for its participants.
Program Planning & Delivery
- Take the lead in organizing, planning and implementing recreational and educational activities for children ages 6 to 12 years old
- Develop program schedules and plans in line with program requirements
- Ensure the safe supervision of children at all times
- Oversee the preparation and serving of nutritional snacks to children
- Manage conflict between children and/or volunteers/staff in an appropriate manner
- Report any suspicion of child abuse or neglect to supervisor
- Maintain a clean and organized program space
Program Monitoring & Evaluation
- Monitor program expenses and purchases, submit receipts and expense forms as required
- Maintain current and accurate attendance forms, records, statistics and other documents as needed
- Complete monthly reporting of program activities
- Administer and tabulate program evaluations
Outreach & Support
- Conduct outreach and retention activities to ensure adequate program attendance and participation
- Liaise with parents, teachers, other NYCH staff and partner organizations as needed around meeting community needs
- Participate in training sessions and staff meetings as required
- Completion of post-secondary education in health, education, psychology, social work or related field and/or comparable work experience
- Current CPR and First Aid certification
Experience and Skills
- Must be available to work five days or three days per week between the hours of 1:00 pm and 6:00 pm
- Minimum 2 years demonstrated experience in leading and facilitating programs for school aged children including components of providing homework help, creative arts and sports/physical activities
- Demonstrated skills and experience in program implementation with a focus on holistic well-being and active living
- Demonstrated skills in staff, volunteer and student placement supervision
- Demonstrated knowledge of issues affecting newcomer children and youth
- Experience working with children and families from diverse cultures within an anti-discriminatory framework
- Passionate, energetic and dedicated to the healthy development of children
- Committed to modeling healthy lifestyle behaviors;
- Understanding of, and commitment to, social change and community development
- Highly motivated, positive attitude and ability to work well in a team as well as independently
- Responsible, dependable and punctual, with ability to communicate in a timely manner with staff and supervisor
- Excellent interpersonal and problem-solving skills
- Excellent computer skills, including working knowledge of MS word, Excel, PowerPoint and Publisher
- Excellent organization, multi-tasking and record-keeping skills;
- Strong oral and written communication skills (a second language is an asset)
- Previous experience with sports, movement and/or fitness an asset.
An updated police reference check will be required upon employment
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit cover letter and resume by Monday December 24, 2018 by 5 p.m. to:
Get Moving! After-School Program Lead Facilitator - Hiring Committee
North York Community House
700 Lawrence Ave. W., Suite 226, North York, ON M6A 3B4;
NYCH is committed to creating an inclusive and diverse workplace and encourages applications from marginalized communities. Additionally, accommodation will be provided as required throughout the interview and employment process. If you require accommodation, please let us know in advance and we will work with you to meet your needs.
No phone calls please - only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.