CAREERS AT NYCH
North York Community House (NYCH) is a dynamic neighbourhood centre that has been working with residents of northwest Toronto for over 26 years. We are committed to building strong, vibrant communities, and supporting local residents, new Canadians, parents and children, youth and seniors, meet and achieve their goals. NYCH believes that all the community members we serve have the strength and ability to succeed – our role is to help them get there.
NYCH is committed to creating an inclusive and diverse workplace, and will provide accommodation as required throughout the interview and employment process. If you require accommodation, please let us know in advance and we will work with you to meet your needs.
NYCH welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Language Program Childcare Supply Worker
Position Title: Language Program Childcare Supply Worker
Start Date: October 2018
Hourly rate: $17.50/hr
Reports To: Manager of Language Programs
Hours: Hours will be offered on an as needed basis
Location: 700 Lawrence Ave. West Suite, 226, Toronto, ON M6A 3B4
The Language program childcare supply worker position acts as a supply staff on the Language program childcare team. The key purpose is to develop and facilitate age appropriate program activities that stimulate children’s physical, social, emotional and cognitive development, in cooperation with other Language program staff. This also involves liaising with parents, instructors and other NYCH staff.
Main Tasks & Responsibilities:
Activities Development and Implementation
- Implements and maintains program for children ages 19 months- 12 years old.
- Supervises children and is responsible for childminding
- Assists with promoting the program in the community and conducting outreach.
- Develops and maintains effective relationships and liaisons with partner organizations, and other organizations serving children and their parents/caregivers
- Connects program participants to other services at NYCH as appropriate.
- Identifies appropriate resources for newcomers
- Provides information about the program to supervisor as required.
- Maintains required program records and reports
- Prepares accident and incident reports
- Communicates with parents about their children, provides orientation to new participants
- Provides updates to the Language program manager
- Manages and supervises volunteers
The minimum level of education preferred is a Community College Diploma in Early Childhood Assistant or working towards a diploma.
Experience and Skill
- Experience working with children 6 months to 12 yrs of age
- Demonstrated knowledge of issues affecting child development.
- Experience working with parents and children from diverse cultures.
- Experience supervising staff and volunteers
- Ability to assist participants with a range of English language skills
- Ability to work under minimum supervision
- Flexible and adaptable work style.
- Good problem solving/conflict resolution skills.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills in English; other language skills an asset
Formal training in First Aid/CPR and successful clearance of criminal record verification are required for the position. Up to date medical records (immunizations and TB test).
A successful clearance of criminal record verification will be required when necessary for the position.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit cover letter and resume by: Thursday, October 18 by 5:00 p.m. to:
Language Childcare Program – Hiring Committee
North York Community House
700 Lawrence Ave. W., Suite 226, North York, ON M6A 3B4
NYCH is committed to creating an inclusive and diverse workplace and encourages applications from marginalized communities. Additionally, accommodation will be provided as required throughout the interview and employment process. If you require accommodation, please let us know in advance and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Only candidates selected for interviews will be connected. No phone calls please.